Wednesday, January 1

Two Gifts and a Theme


This year I decided against the whole resolution thing, especially since no one ever really keeps them. I think they are more like 'good ideas that make me feel better about the year', rather than actual goals to try and accomplish. Just my opinion.

I mentioned in a recent post that this year my husband and I did The Purpose for Christmas study. In it, one idea given was to give Jesus a 'gift'. Something that you can do or give to help draw closer to Him.

The hubs and I decided to give a gift to Jesus and a gift for each other. While I can't gab about his gifts, I'll share what I came up with for 2014.


Time.

It doesn't matter if you're a working mom or a SAHM- when small children are involved, time is scarce.

Time ended up being the gift for both Jesus and my husband. When doing the Not A Fan study, we had to journal four times a day. Each time only took a few minutes, but the idea was to keep Christ on your mind throughout the day. I'm guilty of doing my study once a day for X amount of time, then getting caught up in the rest of the day's worries and not really marinating on the Word. Simply put, I want to be aware of His presence and workings in my life at all times.

For time with my husband, this ended up being a bit more tricky since we have a toddler. Normally our time to talk and catch up tends to be that glorious hour or so after MG is in bed sleeping. The only issue is that most often that is our time to catch up on emails, laundry, chores, phone calls, etc. Not exactly ideal. After talking it through we've changed our time to the mornings. The  plan is to eat breakfast together while doing our Bible study and prayer time. This way we can study together and encourage each other, while starting our day on the right foot.

Love is my theme.
On KLOVE radio the other day I heard the suggestion of picking a theme for the year rather than a list of resolutions. I loved this idea! I guess you could say my theme for last year was happiness- hence my happiness project.

This year I want love to be my theme. I want to do more reaching out to others. I want more opportunities to be the hands and feet of Christ. I want to spend more time loving on my family through small acts of kindness. I am traveling to Nicaragua this summer with our church mission group and I cannot wait to love on God's people there. I want everything I do to be saturated with love.

By this everyone will know you are my disciples, if you love one another.
John 13:35 {My Life Verse}



What gifts are you planning to give to yourself, Christ, or others this year? 

Happy New Year, Ya'll!

 photo Signature3.png

No comments: