Monday, June 30

Blueberry Pie

Nanny J and her husband gave us a ton of fresh picked blueberries. So, I've been pinteresting {is that a word?} looking for yummy recipes.

On Friday, I made my first pie...ever. I was a bit nervous but it turned out great {I thought so anyways}. It was delicious and let's just say I ate a bit more than I should have... thank goodness I have a date with my running shoes this morning.


I found my recipe at the fabulous Inspired Taste. They even have easy instructions for how to create a lattice pattern for your top crust. I've bookmarked their website and have already found more yummy recipes to try. Check it out!

Blueberry Pie
You will need the following:
  • Pie dough for top and bottom 9-inch {I used the Pilsbury crust}
  • 2/3 cup to 3/4 cup granulated sugar,depending on sweetness of berries
  • 1/4 cup cornstarch
  • 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon peel {I felt like Ina Garten using my fancy lemon zester}
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 6 cups fresh blueberries (about 2 pounds)
  • 1 tablespoon butter, cut into small squares
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
  • 1 tablespoon sugar, for garnish

Directions:
  1. Roll out half of the pie dough to fit an 8- or 9-inch pie dish.
  2. Stir sugar, cornstarch, lemon peel, allspice, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl. Add blueberries and gently toss to combine. Transfer blueberry filling to prepared pie crust. 
  3. Roll out second half of pie dough. This is where it gets more complicated depending on the type of design you want for the top crust. I used the lattice design {see Inspired Taste for a great tutorial}.
  4. Trim dough strips to 3/4-inch of the edge of dish. Fold edges of strips and bottom dough underneath itself, creating a thicker border that rests on the lip of the dish. Crimp edges {I used a small fork to make a fun design along the edges}. Dot butter over the open areas of the lattice.
  5. Make egg wash by whisking egg yolk and cream together then brush over pie dough. Sprinkle tablespoon of coarse sugar over crust. Refrigerate pie 20 minutes or freeze for 5 minutes before baking.
  6. Bake on 400 degrees for 20 minutes, then turn oven down to 350 degrees and continue baking for 35-45 minutes or until crust is golden brown. 
  7. Cool 2-3 hours before cutting to allow filling to set.
  8. Enjoy! 

Happy Baking!
 
 photo Signature3.png

No comments: