Tuesday, November 5

All Thing Running

Can you believe it's already November? Craziness. It sort of snuck up on me.  We are less than 2 weeks from race day and the nerves are beginning to get me.

We started training for this half way back in August in the sweltering heat. Yesterday morning I had to wear gloves during our run and today I wore a sweatshirt. Insight into my life: I loathe cold weather. I would much rather run in the heat and sweat to death than have to get up at 4:40 am on a cold morning. Not my cup of tea.

Anyways- we had our last 'long run' on Saturday, which was also our furthest distance to date {11.3 miles}. For the remaining days we are running short 5-6 mile routes to maintain where we are without over doing it.

With running being the topic for today, I thought I'd give a few little ideas that have helped me stick with it and enjoy running a bit more.

1. Two Are Better Than One
It's oh so much easier to stick with any excercise routine when you have a partner to encourage you, motivate you, and most importantly, hold you accountable. I started out tranining with my sweet friend, Missouri Momma, and then in September we picked up a third member, Pastor Brown. Best advice I could give you would be to find people with the same goal as you and push each other to be your best. I am not a morning person, so getting up at 4:40 am is not my favorite thing to do {especially on weekends/cold mornings} but I'm less likely to hit the snooze and go back to sleep if I know I have someone waiting on me. 


2. It's All About The App
Some runners use Garmins, etc... but I have found that I love my Runtastic app. I considered getting a Garmin, but I'd still have to bring my phone for music/safety so I figured I'd stick with what has been working for me. My running partners use Nike and love it, too. Find something that works for you and will help you keep track of your progress. I also like the MyFitnessPal app- it helps keep me in line when it comes to the diet side of training.

 3. Invest In Kicks
A while back I posted this about the importance of good shoes. I have reached my mileage limit on my Ghost 5 kicks and have been eyeing the new Ghost 6 by Brooks. The worst thing you can do is switch before a run, so I'm sticking it out with what I've trained in, then will treat myself to some new lovelies post race day.

4. Outfit Yourself
I revamped my warm weather workout gear and it helped give me a boost in the motivation department.The way I see it, I look my absolute worst when running {sweaty face, nasty hairdo, yuck} so I figure at least my outfit should look decent. I am a bargain hunter and love hitting up Old Navy as well as TJ Maxx, etc. I recently purchased a running pack {sounds better than 'fanny pack' ;) } at TJ Maxx and have loved it much more than the arm band I was sporting.


5. Sign Up Now- Not Later
I cannot just exercise to exercise. I have to set  a goal to work towards. With our half, once I registered I was committed- no turning back. I plan to register for shorter 5K races in December to make sure I don't just quit after running the half. Bottom line- don't just say you are going to run a race/warrior dash/whatever- go ahead and sign up. That way you are less likely to back out :)  

Happy Running!

No comments: