Wednesday, August 27

Ron Clark Comes To Meridian

Today was an exciting event for the Meridian Public School District. They arranged for Ron Clark to come and speak to all of the district teachers. For those of you who are unfamiliar with teaching icons, Ron Clark is know as 'America's Educator'. He is probably the most decorated teacher in our nation's history. A few years ago a movie was made about his life starring Matthew Perry, The Ron Clark Story. It's very inspirational and I recommend it for those who have never seen it. Ron's most recent endeavor was founding his own school, The Ron Clark Academy, in Atlanta, GA. I would absolutely LOVE to go and observe his school, the teachers, and him in action. The problem is I can't afford the fee- it cost $10 grand for him to come and speak today! Donations, anyone?

Overall Ron did a fabulous job. He was so hilariously funny- yet he kept it real. Everything he said hit home to educators. By the end of the presentation, my sides hurt from laughing so much. He was so funny I was in tears! It was like going to an awesome comedy show. During grad school this summer I was required to read two of his books and critique them. So, it was interesting to see him in real life. Too bad I didn't get one of my books autographed!

I encourage you to google his name and see some of the things he has done. For instance, his middle school guarantees that by the time the kids leave eight grade, they will have visited six of the seven continents! Amazing! He is truly hypnotizing and inspiring.
Here is a snippet of the movie 'The Ron Clark Story'



Also, visit his school website at www.ronclarkacademy.com.
I also urge fellow teachers to read his two books, The Essential 55 and The Excellent 11.

No comments: