Monday, August 18

KINDERGARTEN KRAZINESS - lessons learned on the first day of school

During my undergrad work we were encouraged to journal our adventures in teaching. I managed to scrounge up enough energy to journal this.

Lessons Learned on my First Day
1) Be sure to locate/know your students lunch numbers (preferably BEFORE you enter the lunch line. I'm so sorry cafeteria workers. I honestly DID NOT KNOW!)
2) Have students memorize their lunch numbers. (Once again, I apologize.)
3) Until students students have memorized their numbers, have it clearly written on their name badges. (Preferably BEFORE you enter the lunch line). (Please don't hate me, I really am sorry! I promise that you're getting a loaf of my homemade sourdough bread this week!)
4) Have a daily 'to-do' list for assistant. This will help stabalize any OCDness you may suffer from.
5) It's okay to panic when, at 4:00 you're late for grad school AND your biggest 'what if' has come true- a student has gone MIA sometime during the hustle of bus/car rider pick ups. The parent is there wanting to know where their child is. (Big OOOPS! Not my fault though, which the parent stressed at least a hundred times. It was the Boys and Girls Club's fault.) Just DON'T panic in front of the parent.

In all seriousness, I learned more today- my first day- than I did during my ENTIRE time in the Education Program at MSU. Nothing they could have told me would have prepared me for today. Teaching is one of those professions where you have to live, make mistakes, and learn from them. Experience is your education!

Oh, I just realized- I SURVIVED MY FIRST DAY OF KINDERGARTEN!

I feel like I could scream.....
"The Scream"
Painting by Edvard Munch

There is plenty more 'advice' where this came from. After all, today's only the first day. Many more days to go. So tune in for my next issue of KINDERGARTEN KRAZINESS

No comments: