Sunday, April 3

Claudere

The Latin word 'claudere' is a verb in its infinitive form. It may mean to close, to shut, to stop. It also may mean 'to make inaccessible, to conclude, to bring to an end'


This weekend has been marked by tears, sadness, and worry over my Brother. Saturday while browsing the news, I came across the riots in the Middle East, particularly Afghanistan- specifically Kabul.

My brother is in Kabul.

I immediately called my close friend Chickadee. I told her my heart was skipping beats and began reading to her what some of the news reports were saying. I even went so far as to watch a video of the riots- people were holding signs cursing Americans- specifically American soldiers in their city of Kabul. 
They're not just talking about some soldiers that I don't know anymore. It hits home.

They're talking about my brother. My brother.

During my panic, my dear friend said something that went through the phone and straight into my heart.

When I asked her what to do, she replied, "Turn it off."


I have to turn it off. Please don't misunderstand me. I want to know if there are riots and conflicts. I do not want to be stupidly oblivious. But I can no longer read in depth on the issues, hear the gory details, see the signs bashing our troops- my brother.

I'm going to close the door to panic. I'm going to shut out the details that will keep me up at night. I'm going to stop fear from gripping my heart. Instead, I will do as I have since Jan.2.....
 
I will pray. 

Because I know that he's safer in God's hands in Afghanistan than he would be in mine here at home.



2 comments:

Joy said...

I found your blog through Abby (In His Time) and just wanted you to know what you and your family are being prayed for tonight. Thankful for people like your brother who go to protect and serve! http://joy-southernsocialite.blogspot.com/

Sylvia Grace said...

Thank you for your thoughts and especially your prayers! I've actually read your blog before! :) I will add you to my blog roll.

Again, thank you for your support of our troops.