Friday, December 24

Tile

Deciding on tile and a plan for our master bathroom has been miserable, to say the least. There are just too many options for a girl like me- color, size, will they be laid at an angle, texture, patterns, grout...... the choices are endless.

I originally wanted white subway tile. For years I've clipped out pictures of things I like for when we had our own home. Well, when you look at all of my bathroom 'likes', subway tile is in all of them. I wanted tile that would be timeless, and would give me freedom to change things around on down the road. Yes, we have seen some gorgeous tile that's 'in style' now, but in 5-10 years it will be dated. Plus, with some of the trendy tile, there are only so many color choices I could go with for my walls and decorative pieces. Our home is a mix of contemporary and traditional, and I felt subway tile would go well with the style of our home.

So, we decided on subway tile. Then, people began to question our decision and my husband started to waver. So, we went looking again. This time we looked at some of the tile that's really popular now. Again, I was faced with the thought that while it may look good for a few years, eventually it will look dated. Have you ever walked into someone's home and seen tile and thought "Yep, that's from the 80's?" Well, that's what I don't want to cross my mind every time I look at our tile.

We spent countless weekends looking at different tile stores and bringing home sample pieces only to find we didn't like it in our bathroom. Well, frustration set in and I told Bobby "I don't care if it's neon orange, I just want to be able to use my bathroom." So, we chose a tile and said we were done...... I bet you know what happened next?

I knew that tile was not what I wanted. But I still could not get the husband completely on board with the subway tile. He had concerns. So, yesterday we met with an interior designer to get a design plan together for our bathroom. I decided I would leave it in the hands of someone else- I was tired of thinking about it. When asked what I wanted I said "Something timeless, that will go with anything, and that will not be dated in a few years." She said "Honey, I think you need subway tile." I gave Bob that "I told you so" look!

She was a huge help. I was worried about the grout getting dirty and that it might be too much white or all look the same (boring). She said they can seal the grout. She's had it done to her subway tile and it looks just as white and clean as it did when they laid it 5 years ago. Then she discussed using different sizes on the floor, walls, etc and creating a border and angles with the tile so that it gives it interest. My husband now loves our bathroom plan and so do I! Had I laid anything else, I would have always wished I had gone with my love- subway tiles. It's bright, clean, fresh, and classic. Perfect!

She's sending her contractor out to actually measure the shower, floors etc so they will know how much to order. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my bathroom will be finished by the end of February!

This picture is almost exactly how our shower is laid out now. It has two large rain forest shower heads. Instead of glass, we will have two walls come up just above your head. Our window is in the same location as this picture, so we don't want the walls too high or it will block the light. Plus, I wanted a bit more privacy.The tile size in the shower will be the traditional 4x6 subway (similar to this but in white). There will not be a door, instead you will just step into the shower.

Our cabinet is dark and contemporary (like these) only it's one large cabinet.



I just love it!


Can you tell from this post how relieved and happy I am? :)

No comments: