Saturday, January 31

Emancipation

EMANCIPATION
Pronunciation:
\i-ˌman(t)-sə-ˈpā-shən\
Function:
noun
1: to free from restraint, control, or the power of another ; especially : to free from bondage
2: to release from paternal care and responsibility and make sui juris
3: to free from any controlling influence (as traditional mores or beliefs)



Today I've finally felt the good feeling of emancipation. I've been on my own for years and years now, but one tiny string still attached me to my mom and stepdad - my cell phone. When I was a freshmen in college they put me on their Family Share Plan. I was on their plan throughout my college years. It was a blessing in that for the majority of my undergraduate time I did not work. However, this has caused a bit of strain as of late and I finally decided to be done with it and cut ties. So, today I went and purchased my very first cell phone plan completely on my own. I have excellent credit, so I didn't have to pay any money down (which was something I was dreading). I picked the plan I wanted, then picked out my new phone. I'll admit that I'm not a technology girl- I don't care about the latest gadgets. In fact, the iPod I gave myself for my birthday made me feel soooo high tech ;). Having said that, none of my previous phones had cameras or bluetooth capabilities. Well, I decided that for my first totally independent phone I would get what I wanted. I ended up getting a Motorola Razr- complete with camera phone, video recording, MP3 player, and bluetooth capabilities. It didn't really hit me until the man wrote down my new number- at that moment I thought: I'm free! Armed with a new phone, new number, newly found freedom, and a boost of confidence in myself, I feel like an adult woman for the first time. Weird, huh? ;)



Now, coming from a married woman who has put herself through college, has her own place, moved out of my parents house when I was 3 months shy of 18 (I was still in high school), and despises depending on others, you wouldn't think this would be a big deal.

You have no idea what this means to me.

Ahhh...... the sweet taste of EMANCIPATION!

I only wish I'd done it sooner. Much sooner.

Quantcast
If the past has been an obstacle and a burden, knowledge of the past is the safest and the surest emancipation.
John Acton

No comments: