Wednesday, September 3

Quote of the Week / Recommended Reads

This week's quote is an excerpt from the Christian fiction book Quaker Summer by Lisa Samson. I finished this book several weeks ago. It was a good read and had a great point. It focused on a doctor's wife- rich, comfortable, but not content- who slowly realizes that routine and possessions aren't the the key to happiness. She was what many would call a 'comfortable Christian'. She slowly begins to volunteer and steps out of her comfort zone to serve the Lord- which means she leaves her materialistic personality behind. I would recommend this as a good read!

"So here's the bottom line. Do I want to stand before God's throne and say I kept a clean house, I made sure my child was athletic, musical, artistic, and got good grades, I was present at all the important church activities, and I changed the oil in my car every three thousand miles because I was such a good steward of my blessings?
Is that all I will have to show for the gift of life?
Dear God, I hope not." pg. 270

"We only change when staying the same becomes even more frightening." pg. 227

"If you open yourself up to the possibility that God is found in locales you've never imagined; you'll meet Him in all sorts of faces and places you never thought possible." pg. 154

4 comments:

Jamie Grizzle said...

What awesome quotes! Thanks so much for sharing these. I just might have to read another one of Lisa Samson's books after hearing about that one!

Sylvia Grace said...

Thanks for the comment. How did you like her book 'Songbird'? I started to read it- would you recommend it?

Jamie Grizzle said...

It was pretty good. I liked Embrace Me better though. Although Embrace me is kind of a sequel to Songbird, so it might be cool to read Songbird first.

Sylvia Grace said...

Thanks, I think I'll try Songbird and then look into Embrace Me. I've been looking for my next book. You wrote a blog about 'Water For Elephants' and it got me interested. I saw it on sale at BAM last week- started to try it out.