Saturday, March 9

Run Happy

I've had several friends and family inquire about the best shoes for running. I thought I'd put together a little post highlighting the most important aspects of your running gear: your shoes.

One thing I've learned- it's all about the shoes.

I had been running for years and my shoe of choice was always Nike Shox.

Big mistake.

When I started running with a local group back in September, my sweet friend {and awesome running coach} Libby Lou suggested that I needed shoes created for runners. I was hesitant at first, but decided to try it. She had been running in Brooks for years and swore by them {as did most of the running crew}. Seeing as how this chick had run a full marathon, I considered her an expert :)

So, after the Color Run, we stopped by Athletes Foot in Tuscaloosa and I picked up my first pair of Brooks. There was a machine that you walk on to measure your arches, pronation, etc...

All of these indicators pointed to Brooks Ghosts 4. I couldn't wait to try them out at our next run! I could tell such a difference in my stride and foot/knee comfort. While at Athletes Foot, the lady that helped fit me said that the worst shoe to run in was..... Nike Shox. Go figure. It did take some time to get used to them because they were very different from what I was accustomed too. Plus, I had always, always, worn black running shoes, so these seemed super bright :)

Now, the Ghosts may not be right for you but Brooks has a wide range of shoes for all foot types and runners. Best advice I can give: head over to Athletes Foot, take a walk on the machine, and then slip your feet into pure heaven - aka the Brooks that are right for you! Their website also offers a feature where you can type in your information to find the right fit. I would advise going to the store and actually trying them on, etc.. If you are looking to save a few bucks, try them on and see what style is best for you, then go online and shop for the best deal.

One last tip: Use your running shoes only for running and purchase new ones every 400-500 miles.

I stumbled across this fellow blogger. She gives more tips and advice on shoes, running wear, etc...
Hope this is helpful!

And always, Run Happy!

No comments: