Tuesday, January 1

No Goals, Just Happy

Hello, long lost friends! I’m returning from my unplanned, lovely hiatus to throw together a little obligatory au revoir to 2012.
 
Today is the day when everyone starts to finalize their goals and resolutions for the new year. Lose 20 pounds. Read 50 books. Blog every day. Volunteer for a new charitable organization. I have seen some really fantastic goals and resolutions.
 
But this year? I’m just going for happy.

I want fewer goals. Because goals that aren’t met cause my heart to worry and then the worry puts little wrinkles on my forehead. But there are things I can do to create more 'happy' in my life.
I’m going for fewer things on my to-do list. Fewer meetings, fewer commitments, fewer obligations. Honestly? I’d just like for 2013 to go as I have planned. But if there’s anything I learned in 2012, it’s that my plan isn’t the one that matters.

Sure, there are a few things that I’d like to do for myself like take better care of my skin, stay on top of laundry, and have regular date nights with my husband. And yes, I'd love to lose 10 pounds. But I'm not going to spend my year obsessing over them.
I should be the happiest person I know: I have a wonderful marriage, an adorable daughter who is truly our little miracle, a beautiful home, fabulous friends and family, a job I love... But the stressers in life can easily steal away happiness- my house needs cleaning, I need to redo our living room, work has kept me busy and I haven't talked to my friends much. Get the picture?
 

I recently read an amazing book, The Happiness Project, which has inspired me to create my own happiness project for 2013. Now I'm not a professional writer and I have no idea how this will go, or how long it will last, but I'm going to do my best and let that be enough. I have picked one thing each month to focus on... my marriage, parenting, my home, friendships... you get the picture. For each months topic I plan to choose two or three simple things I can do to improve my level of happiness in that area- nothing fancy, I'm doing this for myself and no one else. Each month a simple blog about that month's progress will suffice.

I plan to spend more time on things that matter and less on things that can wait. My faithful readers can attest that 2012 was, with the exception of my daughter's birth, on of the most difficult and trying years of my life. My time spent walking in the valley showed me what I should be focused on. This year I'm aiming for simplicity and happiness. I want to strive for a more optimistic and positive outlook.


I may blog a lot less. Life may be less eventful. I may actually have time to read 50 books. But my goal is to let go of the self-induced pressure and enjoy the happiness in my life.
I know I’ll be more relaxed and I’ll have more time to cook the meals I want to cook and I’ll have more time to read the books I want to read at night. I’ll have more time for hitting the pavement with my running group. But, most importantly, I’ll have more room in my mind for laughing and playing.

 At the end of the year where November and December felt like the rat race of all rat races, I am praying that I can be strong enough to do it differently in 2013. And when I reflect on this year I want happiness to stand out the most.

 
And I’m eager to see the positive results that come from this decision.
What are you hoping for in 2013?

No comments: