Tuesday, July 12

Adventures in Canning


I have discovered that canning can be a real pickle.

I decided to try my hand at canning pickles. My grandmother made some using an easy 3 step ready-made packet so I figured I'd go the same route. Being as this was my first time ever canning, I wanted a simple recipe.

I skimped on the nice canning equipment because this was my first time and I wasn't sure how it would turn out, or if I'd even survive. First mistake. I purchased a cheap starter kit, borrowed large pots from my dad, and set out to make my own pickles.


I planned to make 12 quarts of Kosher Dills. I ended up with 11 quarts (one jar busted, see notes below) that consisted of 4 jars of dill slices and 7 jars of spears. I was surprised they all sealed and turned out great. We've already consumed 2 jars of spears.



Lessons Learned:
1. Invest in one of these: 

2. The jar picker-upper-thingy has 2 black plastic handles. This is not the end that grasps the jars (figured that one out a little to late). I wondered why the black handle thingy broke so easily. I lost one jar and my favorite spoon rest  due to this mistake. The only reason I'm sharing this embarrassing tidbit is in the hopes that someone else might not make the same mistake as me.

3. Your home will smell like a pickle for at least 2 days. Any attempts to rid your home of the smell are futile. 

No comments: